Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Why You Shouldn't Buy a Dozen Donuts if You Don't Have at Least Half a Dozen People to Share With:

I was walking around Smith's grocery about 2 weeks ago and had the essentials, or what I came in for: milk, eggs, diet soda, and bread. Sometimes I like to graze the very back corner because they often have great deals. Usually, in the back corner of any grocery they sell day-old donuts for very cheap. I saw that there were a couple boxes of glazed donuts for $1.29 for a dozen! I was on the phone with one of my older sisters and we discussed the pros and cons:

1) Pro: a dozen donuts for almost the price of what one donut costs at a bakery.
2) Con: there is only one of me. There are 12 donuts....
3) Pro: a dozen donuts for almost the same cost of one donut at a bakery!!!
4) Con: anyone who buys a dozen donuts with no one to share with is just asking for it.

My sister kindly, yet firmly, helped me keep my will power--and my self esteem--and I opted out of buying them.

Well, my younger sister and her husband came over later that night and we all had dinner together and played cards. After we ate, her husband started to watch the end of an NBA game that Boston was in, and my younger sister leans over to me and tells me she has been craving donuts all day. Naturally, I mention the great deal on the day-old dozen. The only excuse we used to rationalize buying a dozen donuts was agreeing to walk to the grocery store...which is across the street. (About the equivalence of walking from one end of a moderately large mall to the other end. It took us about 10 minutes.)

I wouldn't quite call it a disaster. Let's just say that out of the 2/3 of the dozen that actually made it back to my apartment Saturday night, 1/3 was sent home with my sister, and the other 1/3 never saw Sunday morning. Don't buy a dozen donuts unless you have at least half a dozen people to share with!

1 comment:

Nate and Kelly said...

Let it be known that I was the older (and wiser) sister who cautioned you to steer clear of the donuts!!! I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little disappointed you went against my advice. I'd also be lying if I said I wasn't a little sad that I wasn't there with you guys...

Copyright Text