Friday, September 19, 2008

Beginning Bowling (ESS 131)

Don't let the title fool you. This class is very hard for most all inexperienced bowlers. I don't know whether it was my approach practice without a ball, or the fact that the teacher gave me Men's size 10 bowling shoes (I guess he took one look at my feet and thought they were large enough to upgrade me to the Men's department) but I genuinely stink at bowling. Day 4, he finally let us use balls with our approach so the embarrassment of bowling "ghost style" was out of the way. However, the lingering evidence of a bad bowler hung in the air with gutter after gutter after 2-pins knocked down after gutter ball! (Mind you, these were all my shots. My team is actually decent!) So, the teacher has all these "practice drills" on the side that are meant to help people who can't bowl good (me). Example: stand against the wall and swing your bowling arm back and forth along the wall so you get used to the plane you are to swing on. I won't tell you how dorky this looks...or how dorky one feels! The best part of this class is that he'll have us all sit down here and there and proceed to give us tips and pointers on how to become better bowlers. Right behind the alley (which is in one of the school buildings) is the new, and still being improved, bookstore. For some reason, they like to hammer, saw, drill, and everything in between during that hour. I swear it's like a funny cartoon where important information is being relayed, but no one can hear because the semi-truck is passing by or the helicopter flies overhead! I was cracking up because here, this teacher who already has a soft voice, is talking away and all I can hear are the drills and hammering behind me. I see his lips moving, but I don't catch a single word (except I could read his lips say turkey, and the kid next to me had to explain.) I'm going to blame my sorry skills on the premise that I can't hear the advice on fundamentals. I guess he'll just have to keep sending me to the wall for a while!

No comments:

Copyright Text