Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Frugal Wars Part II

In my Money Management class we learn ways we can save money and spend money the smart ways. It surprises me that I was never really that frugal to begin with. For example, our teacher asked the class if there is such a thing as being too frugal. I thought perhaps, and maybe even that I had already reached that point; but, to my newfound knowledge, I am so far from being frugal that I hesitate to even classify myself as a tight-wad! She informed us that she knew a newly wed couple who received many nice gifts from family and friends at their wedding reception. They both had a year of school to finish, so they didn't want to spend the money on renting a Uhaul or truck, so they returned all the gifts and got money in return. When they got to Rexburg, they bought just what they thought they needed in appliances at Deseret Industries with the plan that when they moved, they would just give all they purchased back to Goodwill. Personally, at first I thought no big deal...until you actually go to a Goodwill. Why anyone would sell back their brand new 6-speed blender for a 1970's malt-maker (seriously just a stick that vibrates into a tin cup) is beyond my understanding. That's not even the best one. She also had some friend who her and her husband had some 6 or 7 odd number of children. To save on money, everytime one of the children had to use the bathroom, the dad handed them 4 squares of toilet paper and said, "Good luck!" My goodness! I just laughed really hard because I didn't know if the teacher was kidding or not. She just slowly gave a slight smile with a sigh and nodded her head with her eyes closed.

No comments:

Copyright Text