Sunday, September 26, 2010

The Opposite of a Compulsive Shopper

I have been way into A&E's television series, "Hoarders". It amazes me how much people hold onto things and how messy someone's home can be, but it doesn't bother that person. There was one episode that stood out to me because the wife was a compulsive shopper and her husband was a hoarder, so together they didn't quite make a good team.

I almost fall under the compulsive shopper category because I LOVE TO SHOP! I'm at Target every other day and I frequent the mall just about every weekend. Sometimes I just feel better after spending a little money, even if it's just a buck for a Coke...yeah, as if the money was literally burning a hole in my pocket.

I have something helpful on my side, however. "Buyer's remorse". If it's something I don't really need, I tend to return it within a week. The people at Target probably recognize me, and maybe some should even start asking me, "Hey Maxene, do you really NEED this? Or really WANT it? You could always leave it on the rack and think about it..."

So, I'm a Compulsive Returner. Technically, this could be a good thing. That, or I should learn patience and just wait on certain items. My new motto should consist of a 3 step process: (1) Do I need the item? If yes, than get it. If no, than (2) Do I really want the item, like life would be better with it? If no, than don't get it. If yes, than (3) go home, sleep on it, and if I remember the item in a few days, than go see if it's on sale to determine the final purchasing decision.

No comments:

Copyright Text