Thursday, April 28, 2011

Finding my Quarter in the Sandbox

Every once in a while I like to read a church book, light reading, about inspirational or uplifting stories. The latest one I read was about a little girl going into 1st grade on her first day of the school year. She was so excited and even had her best outfit picked out.

The story goes on telling that on the morning of the first day of first grade, she spills breakfast all over herself and has to change. That, in turn, makes her late for her bus. As she runs to catch the bus she trips and gets cuts and scrapes everywhere, then the bus door opens and smacks her face, giving her a bloody nose and two black and bruised eyes. Yet, she insists on going to school. At recess, she falls on the playground and just before she blacks out, she sees something shiny and grabs it. When she wakes up, she's in the nurses office all bloody and bandaged. When her mom runs in, distressed and worried, she tries to console her daughter and asks if she wants to come home. The first grader simply says, with a huge smile on her face, "Look, Mom! I found a quarter!"

I love this story, because contrary to the little girl having such a horrible day, it just took one little positive to turn this child's day right around. Anyone else might just give up. I like the idea of having a positive attitude and trying to find one good thing in every day, in every situation. But the other night.... I'm ashamed to say it didn't happen that easy for me.

Jeff and I went to our favorite burger place to eat dinner. As he was giving us his usual rundown of his day, Lauren and I played and listened. All of a sudden, she reached out and grabbed my drink, pulling it down and spilling Coke all over me (white t-shirt and all!) It even got all over my favorite shoes. The entire time we ate, I worried over my shoes and if they were ruined.

I'm not going to lie. I had a really hard time finding my quarter in the sandbox. I read about the girl's story earlier that day so I was constantly trying to find a positive from this situation. I think it wasn't until a few days later when my shoes dried and I tried them on that I finally found mine. Instead of my shoes smelling like feet, they smelled sweet and sugary!

I think the key for me is to always be looking for the positives, even if I can't always find them right away!

1 comment:

Macy said...

In social work we call this a "half smile." I encourage my clients every day, that even if things aren't going well, to find something in their day to half-smile about. It could be the weather, a nice sleep they had, or something in their life that they are grateful for. We all need to be reminded of finding the positives, regardless. Right now, I am grateful to have a job, even though it's not my dream job.

Copyright Text