Friday, April 8, 2011

What do you do when....

What do you do when you have so much to tell your husband, but he can't answer his phone because his new job demands most to all of his attention? Well, I blog. In the midst of my "That 70's Show" marathon, I realized maybe I've been watching too much 70's. I started listening to a lot of Led Zeppelin, wearing a lot of colors (I used to be a jeans and white t-shirt kind of girl), decorating my kitchen in orange, yellows, and greens, and shopping for floral printed clothing. I've come a long way from when I used to ask, "Led Zeppelin, who is he?" I decided to watch the news the other day, and was informed that our government might shut down tomorrow because of the budget dilemmas. It reminded me of a bumper sticker Jeff and I saw: "We live within our means, please tell the president." It was a good one. Anyway, one of the newscasters on this segment was talking about how our generation doesn't know the meaning of sacrifice. Back in the 50's up through probably the 80's, men entered into the draft, went off to war, came home and got a job, provided for their families, etc. He said, "...today's generations probably think they are making a sacrifice if they don't have the I-Pad 2." Then, I felt guilty. What have I sacrificed? I barely lasted one month of my spending fast. I constantly think how cool would it be if everything you owned fit into one suitcase? But, do I live that way? Not exactly. After my latest spending-spree two weeks ago, I felt some buyer's remorse, but I couldn't find one thing that I was willing to give up. After some thought, I decided the only thing to do was to start another spending fast. It started April 1st, and lasted till April 4th. So today I felt a compulsive returning session coming on. I returned $70.00 worth of merchandise today. I'm going to start spending fast #2 (technically #3) on Monday, April 11th. I'm going to prove to myself that I can sacrifice!

1 comment:

Samm and Brode said...

I think you and I have similar personalities in how much we return. The other day I went to Nordstrom's (of course) to get some Toms. I decided against getting them for like the millionth time and as I was walking out of the store I felt somewhat of a let down. But that doesn't happen when I buy OR return items... Spending fasts are hard!

Copyright Text