Saturday, February 28, 2009

What People Collect

It's funny what people collect in their life times. Me, for example, I hate to hold onto things because I'm always thinking about moving. When I'm in one place too long, I get antsy and need a change (though moving for me is quite stressful, change is good). Sometimes just changing my room around is all I need. Sometimes changing how I organize my dish towels does the trick. And, every once in a while I need a change in how I look so I'll chop my hair really short, work out harder--or the opposite, start eating more!--or buy clothes that necessitate a new look. Why, I often like to frequent the D.I (Goodwill) or second-hand stores for retro styles or antique jewelry. Idaho Falls has a ton of second-hand stores, pawn shops, and antique stores that are full of old crap. I work in the old historic down town, and within a mile radius of our building, I think I could count a dozen and a half of these stores. I walked into one the other day with a client, and we were in garage sale heaven....well, all except the prices. I swear, if anyone pays for a Snoopy camping glass, originally from McDonald's in the 1980's, for over $8, they're going to regret it 10 seconds after purchase. Now, I'm not saying it would be a bad investment. I'm just saying that I'm glad I left the store empty-handed with the rationale that I would think about it and if it's still there this Wednesday, I MIGHT indulge a little. I used to collect a lot of Peanuts memorabilia. I still have a lot! But over the years I've been able to get rid of my duck collection, moose collection, and someday I'm sure I'll have to downsize my kitchen towel and fabric collection (that is, if I never get to the 20 or so sewing projects I have in my head.) I feel okay about my collections, because I learned from my Mother who collects dish sets. We still give her a hard time about this, but I'll tell you something, now that all her kids are moving away, it's a lot cheaper to inherit one of these sets than to go buy your own! People collect the weirdest things. From wolves, to music that has never been opened, to obsessive cleaning supplies. I've seen it all, and I must say at this point there is no surprise and no limit to what people collect.

3 comments:

Barbara Sessions said...

my room at my apartment is starting to collect items (such as receipts, useless mail, and candy!) My room at home (pieces of unmatched jewelery, candy, candles, and permanent markers.) two complete opposites, but yet I find quite funny!

Nate and Kelly said...

Funny you should write about collections. I noticed that Mom and Dad's Infinity (that you've been driving for the past year) is collecting dust...

pharen said...

Hi Maxene- this is Avery! (Faren's wife) How are you? I remember reading your blog a while ago, and you talked about that guy who proposed at Tuscany on the horse with all the trumpets- remember? I thought that was so funny that you were there that day, because that guy is my brother Cody! He and his wife Brittany got married last summer. Wasn't that the greatest proposal ever? Anyway, I just wanted to tell you that. Hope everything is great with you! Oh, and we have a blog too- it's www.farenandavery.blogspot.com
Avery

Copyright Text