Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Not so Silent Night--Sleep Training, Day 3

Lauren had no trouble falling asleep last night. After a bath from Dad and the rest of the routine, she settled into her crib as if she were exhausted. It was as if she couldn't wait to get out of my arms into her cozy blankets. I couldn't believe that by 7:10 pm she was breathing heavily away into Dreamland.

That was until about 8:30 pm.

From that time until Jeff and I woke up at 6:00 am, Lauren awoke at what seemed to be every half hour. We even caved and brought her into our room to co-sleep (which availed to no quality of sleep seeing as she is a tiny "windmill" with flailing arms and grasshopper kicking legs.)

If I weren't a psychology major, I might throw in the towel after last night and try this sleep training thing in a few months down the road. But, because I am a psychology major, I'm smart enough to know that there are things I am doing now that reinforce her behavior to wake up and depend on me and which in a few more months, would be much tougher to break. And, you'd think because I have experience in +/-reinforcement, shaping behaviors, and manipulating situations for the better that I'd have had a great night's sleep by now!

Day 4, here we come!

3 comments:

Macy Diane said...

Ring a bell so that she will start to salivate and then she'll know its time for bed. I also am no dummie when it comes to training and manipulating people. Seriously, take my advice about the bell! . . . jk

Nater said...

Pavlov knows what he is talking about. He has gray hair, so that means he is trustworthy.

Maximum Glutes said...

Oh, please!

Copyright Text