Friday, July 11, 2008

Disney's "The Parent Trap"

I was eating dinner last night and watching the newer version of "The Parent Trap"; the one with Lindsey Lohan when she was tiny, still red-headed, and freckeled. My favorite Lindsey, if there was one. I love this movie, especially the older one. My mom happens to share this love. It never occurred to me, however, that the story line of the film is somewhat morally wrong. I mean, really, who in their right mind would ever think it okay to split up their twins? Especially if one is staying with the father and the other with the mother? I could understand (maybe) if the twins were split up through adoption, but honestly, where both parents are very wealthy and could easily take care of two kids but decide, "Hey honey, our marriage isn't quite working out. Here, let's split everything 50/50...you take the BMW and I'll take the Lexus...why don't you keep the timeshare in Vail and I'll take the condo in L.A...and oh! perfect, you take one twin and I'll keep the other, but let's never tell them they have a sister!"

Sounds a little screwy to me! I guess there are more crazy family stories in real life, though. I still love these movies. My only other concern is the fact that neither Lindsey Lohan nor Hayley Mills has a twin. I was young when I saw "Parent Trap: the making of the film" with Lindsey Lohan on the Disney Channel and found out she played both roles. I'm almost embarrassed to say I didn't know about Hayley Mills until recently. I guess I just figured that a movie originally made in 1961 wouldn't have the technology to film the trick. In "It Takes Two" we all know the Olsen twins are, in fact, twins.

Well, they sure fooled me! I could have sworn Hayley had a twin Heather or Hannah or Heidi Mills. Oh, that Disney pulled a quick one on me, alright!

No comments:

Copyright Text